Monday, March 6, 2017

Kariyilakkattu Pole (Like a Zephyr of Dry Leaves)

Even before I start writing anything about the movie, I want to confess that I am in love with the name of the movie. It is like reading the first line of a Kamala Das or Amrita Pritam poem. And it becomes even more sublime when you consider the fact that the movie is not a sufiana ode of love and longing, it is a crime\mystery\thriller.

Mystery dramas are my guilty pleasure. I read and re-read Agatha Christie, Feluda, Sherlock Holmes etc. like a maniac. I watch all mystery shows on TV and movies of this genre. Lack of good mysteries (and not crime\thriller) in Bollywood movies is my constant source of consternation.

Thankfully Malayalam movies come in handy. The fabulous CBIseries, Paleri Manikyam: Oru Pathira Kolapathakathinte Katha (Amidnight murder story)Add to these Mammootty and Mohanlal starrer Kariyilakkattu Pole. I could not guess the killer till the very end :)

The movie starts with the dead body of a noted film writer and director Harikrishna (Mammootty) at his cottage where he retreats while writing. DSP Achuthankutty (Mohanlal) is assigned to investigate the murder. The investigation team finds various clues at the crime scene, all of which point to the fact that a woman had committed the crime.


The only problem is that it is soon revealed that there are at least three women who had a grudge against Harikrishna in addition to the fact that he was an incorrigible womanizer.

I always hesitate when I write about a murder mystery because, I don’t want to give away any indication about the killer. In this case, all the three women seem to have a strong motive for murder and each of them is hiding something during the investigation.

All the actors in the movie have given excellent performances. The ambiguity of Mammootty’s character where you never know his true intentions, the calm yet commanding demeanour of Mohanlal and the shroud of secrecy surrounding the characters of Karthika, Sripriya and Unni Mary will have you riveted to your seat.


P. Padmarajan who wrote and directed the film has kept the movie fast paced and editing crisp where every moment takes the story forward.

For those who love this genre, you will not be disappointed.


Do Watch.

No comments:

Moving On

Find me on medium.com from now on :)