Thursday, March 30, 2017

Antareen (The Confined)

Normally when I start writing a review, I already have an outline sketched out. I know how I will begin the sketch.

Unfortunately, today I have no idea.

Well then, let’s begin with the fact that Antareen is my first Mrinal Sen movie. I realized that it’s based on Manto’s short story. I thought I have read Manto quite extensively, but couldn’t for the life of me, recall this story. Trying to figure out the name of the story was quite a task.

It is “Badshahat Ka Khatma” by Manto.

The movie starts with “the writer” (Anjan Dutta) getting a letter from his friend Dilip, inviting him to stay at his once palatial haveli, now falling to ruins. The family is away and Dilip thinks the haveli will help inspire “the writer”. You will wonder, why I am not naming the writer. This is one of those movies where the viewer never gets to know the name of either of the protagonists.

The writer turns up at this almost dilapidated compound with most of the old building in disrepair. Searching for a muse, “the writer” wants to be left alone. Actually, we never really get to know, who he is and what he wants (except that he loves tea). There is in no elucidation of anything personal or professional about him – or what he writes or why is he searching for inspiration. He has just settled in when he receives an anonymous call by a woman – “the woman” (Dimple Kapadia). She strikes a conversation and very soon their conversation becomes a regular occurrence.

Through bits and pieces, we realize that “the woman” is a mistress of a wealthy man who now ignores her. She calls random numbers to talk to everyday, “the writer” being one of them. “The woman” lives alone with no company except for an old servant.

(I had written the above part a couple of days ago, when I saw the movie. For some reason, I just couldn’t figure out what to write after this. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn’t decide what I wanted to write about the movie. So, I figured I should read the story the movie is based on. Ordered the book on Amazon (turned out to be a blessing, it has quite a few Manto’s stories I haven’t read earlier), and here I am back to writing the review.)

After having read the book, I understood why I couldn’t go on with the review. For me the movie was, well, sort of meaningless.

If I have to talk about what got me interested in watching the movie was the summary - “A writer moves into the palatial house of a friend to find creative inspiration. A chance telephonic chat with a mysterious woman blossoms into love as he finally finds what he was looking for.” coupled with the name.

However, for the first part, it was never clear what is it that the writer is searching for.  And in the
end, it wasn’t clear if he found it or how he found it. The only thing that “the writer” did was read Tagore’s Khudito Pashan (The Hungry Stones).

In the actual story, the man is waiting for true love for his life to start. Until then he just exists. This gives the telephone calls some meaning.

In the movie, it’s just a woman flirting on the phone. I don’t really think Dimple Kapadia quite got the essence of the character. All she managed to sound was flirtatious rather than whimsical. Her portrayal of “the woman” was rather flat and one dimensional.

The only idea worth making a note of was perhaps how the two characters are confined in their spaces or circumstances. The other reference was the one to Khudito Pashan (The Hungry Stones) by Tagore. The minor reference was to the haveli where “the writer” lived as compared to the palace in the story. The main reference was the hint of comparison between the “the woman” and the Bedouin girl from the story.

Anjan Dutta also failed to bring forth the fervor which should have increased with every phone call.

I am not quite sure if the actors are to be blamed though. This looks like a directorial disaster where the director just couldn’t get it right. Mrinal Sen had two great stories from Manto and Tagore and the idea is inspired. Unfortunately, it is as if he picked the words but forgot the soul of the story, its essence.

Read the books, skip the movie.


Do skip. 

No comments:

Moving On

Find me on medium.com from now on :)